DESIGN THINKING INSPIRES
Design Thinking is a teaching approach that incorporates the engineering design process in hands-on, collaborative projects. Students are guided through the design steps to problem solve. The process is meant to be repeated to create the best possible solution. Project-based and problem-based learning engages students while providing essential Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) skills that inspire innovation.
WHAT IS THE ENGINEERING DESIGN PROCESS?
The engineering design process is a method of finding solutions to problems, but it’s more than just brainstorming a list of ideas. When students use the design process they must:
- Explore: Learn about the problem.
- Brainstorm: Imagine many ways to solve the problem.
- Plan: Choose one of your ideas and decide how to make it a reality.
- Build: Create the model, test it, and make changes to improve it.
- Reflect: What worked well? What would you want to change?